Visit San Francisco
If you plan on flying to a vacation spot with Air New Zealand, you can’t go wrong with choosing San Francisco as your destination. There are flights available every day of the week from multiple cities in New Zealand. Not only is San Francisco an excellent place for a happening holiday, it is really convenient to visit because you don’t need to apply for a visa if you are travelling on a New Zealand passport. All you need is an ESTA.
You can enjoy a trip to San Fran at any time of the year, but if you want really pleasant weather, try flying there in spring or autumn. In addition to ticket costs and hotel stays, you will need approximately USD $150 to $200 per day for other expenses.
There is plenty to explore in San Francisco, but here are a few must-see sights and spots that will let you experience this city in the best way possible.
- Take the ferry – your trip to this harbor city is incomplete without a cruise that allows stunning views of Golden Gate Bridge and the city’s skyline. This will also take you to the infamous Alcatraz. Most visitors are fascinated by the prison and its history, but you will also be treated to some amazing views of wildlife, rare plants and birds.
- Cycle over the Golden Gate Bridge – the best way to take in this majestic engineering marvel is to grab a bike and cycle the entire length.
- Visit the beaches – Bodega Bay and Santa Cruz are both beautiful coastal areas with plenty to discover. Go kayaking at Bodega Bay and you might spot seabirds, sea lions and even whales. Try horse-riding for a dose of adrenaline or birdwatch if you prefer something more tranquil. At Santa Cruz, there’s a great amusement park for thrill seekers. You can also take boat trips, go surfing, look for sea lions and whales or stroll through the art galleries and shops.
- Try different foods – Fisherman’s Wharf is the most popular place to go in search of fresh, delicious seafood. Each district in San Francisco boasts a distinct identity evident in the cuisines they offer. Mexican, Italian, Thai, French and Southeast Asian foods are all available. Don’t forget to visit Chinatown for some authentic Chinese, or Haight Ashbury to try out the bohemian/hippie culinary themes.
- Drinks – Napa Valley is where you should head if you love wine with a side of history. You can book wine tours or go on your own to enjoy the scenic place and sip white and red wines at various wineries. North Beach is another great district to explore for its bars if you’re into craft beer, martinis and cocktails. Also, try the Irish Coffee at San Francisco’s Bueno Vista.
- Visit nearby landmarks – If you have the time to explore more places beyond San Francisco, just an hour’s drive will take you to the awe-inspiring Silicon Valley where you can take a tour of Googleplex on a bike. Yosemite is another must-visit area where you can watch climbers scaling the towering cliffs.
San Francisco is a relatively compact city where you can explore and experience various districts and sites in a short period of time. As soon as your flight lands from Auckland to San Fran, you can begin sightseeing and enjoy the coastal views.
Apply For ESTA | Online Visa | Verify or Update ESTA